Sunday, January 11, 2009

In life

There is no such thing as waiting for the storm to pass. In order to get where you need to go, you've got to throw on your rain jacket and walk through the wind and the rain, even if it feels like a slap in the face. There is no other way to learn and to progress and to accomplish the necessary tasks, whatever they may be. The song from Carousel says "When you walk through a storm, keep your head up high and don't be afraid of the dark..." It does not say "If you happen to walk through a storm, keep your head up high...".

"Walk on through the mist, walk on through the rain-though your dreams be tossed and blown. Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone!"

I'm sorry I can't always be perfect and kind and good, but I'm trying. I'm trying not to open that Pandora's box. You know, "Someone upsets you and instead of smiling and walking away...you zing them. Hello, I'm Mr. Nasty" (You've Got Mail. I'm sure it was on the tip of your tongue, dear Reader).

In other, less random news, today I was talking to my best friend (under contract) Josh Schultze. And, let me tell you, this Best Friend of mine really pulls through. Terrific and funny guy. So we spent a couple of hours chatting in the clerk's office and after I had said something that upset him he stopped me, turned almost serious (it's a difficult tast for him) and said, "Natalie, stop. That thought is coming straight from outer darkness. It belongs there, not with you. Send it back! Natalie Murray, send that thought back." What a gem of a best friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Nat! You're doing fine.

Alice Johnson said...

Don't worry!!! I am hear as a constant and always eyeful Weather woman...especially in church. Only this weather woman can defend against storms and be an umbrella (ella ella e) that not only protects but kicks the storm right ....YOU KNOW WHY!