Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Warning: Really long post about a missionary

Well, I've alluded to this problem before but it isn't going away so a whole post will now be dedicated to Elder Kalil*.

To start off this post I'll just say that the aforementioned missionary does not like to act as though he likes me. So basically everything I do or say is wrong. This all started when I smelled shampoo one time (see this post). Ever since then, all our conversations/interactions consist of me doing weird things. Here is part of a conversation we had last week.

Me: So...you think I'm weird?!
Elder K: No, but the things you do are weird.
Me: Actions define a person. Who was it that said that? Oh, yeah, Thomas Jefferson. "If you want to know who you are, do not ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you".
Elder K: Okay, it's weird that you memorize quotes like that. Well I have a quote for you. "They won't remember what you do, they won't remember what you say, but they'll always remember how you made them feel".
Me: Well then, I'm sorry I make you feel weird.
Elder K: Je suis desole. (I'm sorry)
Me: Non, Elder, JE suis desolee. (No, Elder, I'M sorry)
Elder K: Why are you sorry?
Me: Parce que tu penses que je...(because you think I'm...) oh, I can't remember the word for weird...
Elder K's Companion: I think the word you're looking for is awkward.
Me: You think I'm AWKWARD now?
Elder K: It's awkward that you're speaking French.

After this conversation I was bugged, but then I started feeling guilty and resolved to always be nice to Elder Kalil no matter what. So, today...

Elder K: Natalie, how are you? How's school?
Me: I'm great! School is good.
Elder K: Yeah, BYU must be hard. I'm sure a real college would actually be a lot more difficult than BYU.
Me (trying really hard not to get mad and say something I might regret): Um...thanks, Elder.
Elder K (to companion): There she goes again. Calling me the generic "Elder".
Me: What would you have me say?!
Elder K: I have a name.
Me: Okay, good. Elder Kalil, how come I can never do anything right? I go to BYU. Wrong decision. I call you Elder. Horrible word choice! I just don't get it!
Elder K: Well, Natalie, you have a great day.
Me: Okay, Elder Kalil. You too.

So anyway, I don't understand.

*His last name has been changed to a name that means "good/best friend" in Arabic.

6 comments:

Holly said...

What a weirdo! I dislike contentious/annoying people like that. Random question- Are they supposed to be fraternizing with you like that?

Natalie said...

Yeah, it's okay for us to talk to the missionaries as long as it isn't "excessive" and all these exchanges take place when I'm actually helping them with something, but...they should be nice.

Anonymous said...

I think you may be underestimating the extent to which Elder K likes you.

Jason & Shannon said...

What a demanding guy! I say ignore him. Or you could tell him, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Natalie said...

Grettir-If that is the case, I'd rather keep underestimating. I don't need any more MTC drama...ignorance is bliss, right?

And Shannon-I could say that to him, but he might make fun of me for memorizing quotes.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the pineapple. Told you so!! MOM