Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The elevator angel

Last week I went to visit my mom in the hospital for the first time. I went into the East building and headed towards the elevators, hoping to soon arrive on floor 6. There was already an older woman in pink volunteer scrubs standing in the elevator when I got there. I got into the elevator and watched as the women pressed the button for floor four and then floor six.

She turned to me. "I bet I know where you're going!" she said sweetly. "Um, yes..." I replied with a smile. "Room 673!" She declared. Now I was taken aback. That's my mom's room! I was thinking. "I heard your mom is doing very well." She offered. "Thank you" I replied, confused, as our elevator reached the fourth floor and the woman got off.

I felt like it was a scene from some "Touched by an Angel" episode. You know. The distraught girl enters the hospital, almost frantic with grief. As she gets on the elevator, a woman (the angel) appears out of nowhere and offers words of comfort and consolation. And then the woman is suddenly gone.

Anyway, the woman turned out to be my grandpa's neighbor who has probably known me since my third month of life. Still, it was a funny experience.

2 comments:

Jason & Shannon said...

Haha! I remember that show! What in the world is your mother doing in the hospital!? Is she ok?

Anonymous said...

She had surgury