Saturday, November 22, 2008

Why I don't give standing ovations

I hesitate to post this blog, but I just want everyone to know. Let's get down to business (remember that I'm not eloquent).

I don't normally give standing ovations. They are to be done "after extraordinary performances of particularly high acclaim" (wikipedia.org. I know, wikipedia isn't exactly the best source, but hey). Standing ovations are considered to be a special honor. If we are giving standing ovations after every high school play and band concert, the act loses its honor and meaning.

Sure, your show was amazing. Your band played spectacularly. But that doesn't mean that we need to stand. I believe that the standing ovation is becoming severely devalued. It used to be special; now it's something people do when they like a performance. Clapping is what should be done when a performance is enjoyable and even amazing. We can give words of love, encouragement, and tremendous praise. If we gave a gold medal to everyone who participated in the Olympics, the gold medal wouldn't mean a thing. So it is with the standing ovation. If everyone gets it, who cares?

When I really began my musical experience in junior high, our dear band teacher taught us the importance of helping things maintain their value. For instance, it bothered him to have music playing in the background of our lives--we should be stopping, listening, and enjoying music, rather than taking it for granted. His view on the standing ovation was the same-it is becoming so frequently used that it's losing its meaning and people are forgetting.

I realize that I look like a jerk when the whole audience is standing and I am still sitting. Maybe I am a jerk. But the fact that I'm sitting does not mean I hated your performance. I probably loved it. Hey, I didn't even give Wicked a standing ovation. I just want you all to know that I do not have hateful feelings in my heart when I am left sitting after a performance. I'm not sitting there thinking that I'm better than everyone else. I'm just standing (sitting?) for something I believe in.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Sorry if I offended anyone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie, you crack me up. Seriously. And you are not a jerk.

Anonymous said...

Amen!! And I think you are so eloquent and can say exactly what you are thinking. I love that you think about these things.

Anonymous said...

I had that same great band teacher, and so I agree with you. It is so true! When was the last time you've been to a concert/play and a standing ovation wasn't given? But... did you notice that Grandpa gave a standing ovation for "The Sound of Music"? I don't think he gives those lightly, especially since it's hard for him to stand up...

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. The "standing ovation" has lost it's true meaning. Do you think it is a general problem or a Utah Valley problem? ALLEE

Anonymous said...

Agreed, I think most people just don't understand what it is given for... but I do feel silly sometimes if I have been the only one sitting...

Natalie said...

I think it's just a Utah thing...that's just from what I've heard, though, I haven't really seen a lot of shows out of state. And Karly-Grandpa did think Sound of Music was great, but I think he was standing up just to get out of there faster :)