Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Disenchanted

This post will probably not be the most eloquent one you've ever read, but it's just something that is on my mind.

The other day on the local news (I don't know what channel) they did a "special investigation" report, where a news anchor went to Herriman to uncover some huge scandal of nepotism that was going on in City Hall. Or something. Anyway, it showed clips of the news anchor calling and interrogating officials on the phone, adding up all the bills for building, and doing various undercover work.

The main idea was that the city of Herriman hadn't had three bids to build their library and another building, instead they just gave the job to someone who already worked in City Hall. I am not saying I agree with what the city did, but I strongly disagree with the way the news anchors handle it.

I do not think it is the place of a news anchor to investigate something like this. Wouldn't this be considered "creating their own news"? Isn't there something wrong with that?

Call me crazy, but I think there would have been better ways to handle the situation. I don't like how the news people went and attacked the city of Herriman and made it sound like their government and administration was corrupt and then broadcast it across the state.

There are people whose jobs are to investigate situations like these. Sometimes it makes it to the news, but it usually doesn't start with the news.

No comments: