Monday, June 02, 2008

Healing

A summer of healing is what this is.

Yesterday, Abby and I went to Grandpa Murray's house so we could go on a walk with him. He and I have been planning on going on a nice outdoor walk since his accident, and yesterday was such nice weather and he was feeling great, so we went. It was the first time he's really been outside since he left the hospital--and it's been awhile.

First of all, he was walking really fast-faster than I could walk with my boot on (funny story about Grandpa: In the hospital, just a few days after breaking his neck, the nurse came and got him to do some walking. They were walking up stairs and Grandpa was just booking it. The nurse couldn't even keep up. That's Grandpa for you).

Second of all, I'm sure we looked a fantastic sight. People probably had a hard time telling who was helping who-Grandpa, with his neck brace, was holding Abby's hand. I, with my boot, was holding Grandpa's arm. It probably looked like Abby was our physical therapist or something.

Anyway, it was funny, and I am grateful that Grandpa is doing so well. He is an amazing man, and I'm so blessed that he's my grandfather. Every moment we spend together is a teaching moment-he has helped me so much. I love him.

No comments: