Friday, March 20, 2009

Happiness is smiling upon me

There is an Elder in the MTC who has become very dear to me. He is foreign (I think he may be Russian) and his English is very limited. He is very kind and sincere, though, and always takes time to speak with me. Here is a conversation we had yesterday:

Elder: Natalie, how are you? How is today?
Me: Oh, I'm good, it's been a busy day, but you know...it's okay, I guess. How has your day been?
Elder: Oh, a happy day!
Me: Why so happy?
Elder: A very happy day because I have the light of the gospel in my heart and in my life.

After he said that I just wanted to cry. It was such a simple, beautiful testimony. Even though I spend parts of my life in a myopic state, this Elder helped me remember what is true and so important. He was right, and I am happy.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

WOW! i love that! It is so true... we should just be happy because we have the Gospel in our lives. Thank you for the reminder. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he will be a great missionary!

Amy Catherine said...

I just dropped by to see how you are doing because I miss you. And you happened to have a post about the MTC and a Russian Elder and I suddenly miss it so much. The Russian Elders were my favorite because they were so sincere and friendly and they just seemed to be glowing. But all the missionaries are great. I was just volunteering in the Referral Center at the MTC the other day and I was in the elevator and it had a sign that warned missionaries that if they made the elevator malfunction by jumping in it or any other sort of shenanigan they would be fined fifty dollars. It made me smile. These missionaries are so exuberant. We missed you at our Quinnless Quinn party--we'll have another one.

Holly said...

I'm glad you are doing well and that you are happy. Call me and we'll set up a temple trip next week. I love you!