Sunday, February 15, 2009

Story time


Our family moved to Virginia in the late fall of '93. Abby had just been born and Karly was still very young, so to make for a less stressful move, Dad, Nathan and I drove across the country to set up shop and Mom, Karly, and Abby were going to fly out and meet us. I remember just a few things about this road trip, and this blog is dedicated to telling that story.

1. Mom, Karly, and two week old Abby were staying with Grandma and Grandpa Murray. I remember saying goodbye to Mom, getting in the car, and pulling out of the driveway. I looked back and Mom was standing in the doorway, holding Abby and wearing her pink bathrobe, and crying. It is a very sad memory for me. Even now I'm tearing up.

2. We forgot the suitcase that had our swimming suits. This is a problem because how do you occupy children on road trips? You swim in hotels. We went to a store and Dad tried to buy us swimming suits, but it wasn't exactly swim suit season so I ended up with a gymnastics leotard and Nate got a pair of shorts with a picture of a baseball on them. We were able to swim!

3. We ate at Casa Bonita in Colorado. I love that restaurant. The Mayan: Casa Bonita::Lagoon: Disneyland (it's really good). There was a man in a gorilla suit running around, and that's where we took the above picture.

4. When we finally got to our house it was very late. We put a mattress on the floor in one of the rooms, plugged in our little TV, and watched Aladdin. I thought it was very exciting.

That's about all I remember from the trip from Utah to Virginia. I'm sure it was a lot more eventful than what I've mentioned, but it was great for me to be able to spend that time with my dad and brother.

3 comments:

Holly said...

That sounds like so much fun! One question-What does "The Mayan: Casa Bonita::Lagoon: Disneyland (it's really good)." mean? I got lost with all the colons.

Holly said...

I love Casa Bonita. I was just telling Adam about it last night. Funny. I love the Pic.

Anonymous said...

Natalie about your twitter, I want to hike the I too!