Friday, February 06, 2009

Conundrum

Puzzling.

I work at the MTC bookstore, which I know you all know. This means that I interact with a lot of people from many different areas of the world. Sometimes it's difficult. There is sometimes a language barrier (for instance, once Russian elders were trying to ask about an energy converter. We could not understand them, as they were speaking Russian with an occasional English word, and about the only Russian word I know is "dasvidania". Eventually they drew a picture, and we got everything worked out). Not only does the language barrier cause occasional problems, but there are also vast differences between some culture's social norms. I'm not saying one culture is right and the rest are wrong, but everyone is different...it's fun and very interesting.

Anyway, the point of this blog is kind of a question. I never know what to say when an Elder says to me, "Cheers!" Because really, how does one respond to that? I feel silly saying "Cheers" back. I don't know if I'm supposed to say, "Thanks", "You too!", "You're welcome", "I enjoy mint brownies" or something else entirely.

Usually I end up saying something like, "Okay, see ya!" but I could be completely missing the mark on this one. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Chlorine Addict said...

Say, "I will kill you if you say that again. Now please get away from me."