Sunday, February 22, 2009

The ice cream social

I don't feel as though I live in the past, but I have been thinking a lot about last year at this time. I like to notice how much I've changed and grown. A lot has happened and I'm so grateful for all the experiences I had that helped shape the past year of my life and me as a person.

I've also been falling into a cryptic abyss lately, so I hope that I can pull out of that for this post and say what I want to say without worrying about who will read it and what they will think (let me clarify that this post is in no way meant to point fingers, just stating facts). Here we go!

This week last year was very difficult for me. I was struggling with feelings of abandonment, I think. I always knew I wasn't alone in a very spiritual sense, but I physically felt as if I had no friends and I didn't know how to get any (oh, I sound so sad and mournful right now. I didn't mean for my blog to have this tone).

Our ward had an ice cream social. I was very worried about going because I felt that it would be awkward, but I was on the activities committee so I went to help and support.

This is where the point of my post will (hopefully) come to light. I went to the ice cream social, feeling alone and sorry for myself, and I met three of my best friends. I was already acquainted with them but something changed that night. They very quickly formed my support group. Suddenly I had someone to talk to and share my feelings with. I no longer felt alone.

They were spectacular and really held me through that time in my life. Karlee was pivotal because she had recently been through something similar so she was able to relate very specifically to what I was feeling.

We continue to be each other's support system. As each of us goes through a difficult time, the others are there to help. I wanted to write this blog just to say how grateful I am for those friends. They are so dear to me and I am very blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful people.

1 comment:

karlee said...

Nat, I love you! They say people come into your life for a reason, and I know you did. And I know there is a reason we were both there that night so we could help each other and be there for each other. In fact, I am going to write my feelings about this week last year :)