Monday, January 04, 2010

2010

As I watched the ball drop from 2009 to 2010 , I almost started crying because I felt hopeless and lost. It was not the greatest start to a new year. Later that night as I got ready for bed, I found myself wishing that it was the beginning of 2007 instead. I thought I could make so many different, better choices if I had a chance to do it again.

But then I started realizing what the consequences for changing my actions would be. For instance, one of the first things I would do differently is breaking up with Jarom. But if I had never broken up with J, I would never have dated Scott. Had I never dated S, I never would have worked at Aspen Grove that summer.

Had I missed out on the opportunity to work at Aspen Grove, I wouldn't have met Alice or Mike D. If I had never met Alice, I wouldn't have developed a great friendship, or learned how to have fun, or how to get an A in religion. I wouldn't have moved out or met any of the amazing people in the BYU 210th ward. I wouldn't have met Ben or Thayne!

If I had never met Mike D, I never would have met Mike W. And I wouldn't trade that time for the world-MW is one of the funniest people I've ever met. If I had never met MW, I wouldn't have learned how to make proper fried rice, or how to have a Tim Tam Slam!! Also, I would have delayed watching The Dark Knight (actually, that wouldn't have been so bad...)

Well, I could talk about stuff that never would have happened for hours. But as I thought through this series of my life events, I realized that, although I've definitely been through some tough times, each experience helped me grow and shape my life in amazing ways...and I love what my life is becoming. I wouldn't trade any of these experiences for the world.

So, 2010, I'm glad you're here.

Also...bring it on.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Yes, Natalie! YES!!! I love it! I feel the same way about the hard stuff in my life. It's all about gratitude, learning, and improving. I feel like I've come a very far way already, and there's so much more to figure out and appreciate. Huzzah for more learning in 2010!

Mom said...

Very insightful and inspiring!!

Karly said...

I think it's funny that you refer to prior boy friends as letters. Like "S" or "J". Haha.