Thursday, January 21, 2010

The truth

So, my teaching partner and I taught our first day of PE yesterday. We were very nervous because1. we have never taught a full lesson before and 2. we had to teach Kindegarten. Yes, you heard me right...kindegarten! I am not an Early Childhood Education major. I never imagined that I would have to teach these youngsters.

So anyway, we got to the school, set up our Rules/Consequences, Time Out, and Circuit Training signs, and then the class arrived. At first I was terrified and had no idea what I was saying, but after a few minutes I just fell right into the teaching routine and it went really smoothly (I think).

The kids were great. It was surprising to me how enthusiastic they all were because, as a jaded college student, I don't really get excited about class. Especially not PE class. But they were so happy.

One little girl kept running across the gym every time I called out "Toe to Toe!" because she wanted to be my partner. At one point she just reached up for a hug...it was really cute. I only had to give one girl a reminder, and later I had to send the same girl to time out. Hopefully she will get better at following rules.

But I wanted to share a bit of honesty. I was demonstrating the hula hoop station, and told the kids that if they didn't know how to hula hoop they could jump rope with it, or spin it around their arm. Then...

Me: "If you can't do it around your waist, try spinning it on your arm like this..." and the hula hoop promptly flew off my arm. "Yeah...just like that."
Ezra: "Um, yeah...you're not very good at that."

Um, nope. Thanks kid.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You make me smile! And I totally know what you are talking about!