Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Our Jim

So there is this (I don't know the PC term so bear with me) mentally handicapped man named Jim who comes into the bookstore every Tuesday morning to restock the "copies of the Book of Mormon" and vacuum. He is cute and nice except sometimes he likes to be mean. But I think he's funny so I am going to list three things he has done (I'm not trying to make fun of him...I just think they're funny stories!).

So a little over a year ago we on the closing shift kept arriving to work to find all our personal possessions missing from our apron pockets. It was so disconcerting. Every day I would find my box knife, chapstick, and pens in a different place. Finally we figured out that Jim was coming in and ransacking our aprons, so we had to start hiding them simply to keep our bearings around us.

Last week I was helping a customer when Jim came up to me and said, very pointedly, "You are a broomstick". I was like, "Um....what? A broomstick?" and he just said "Yeah. You look like a broomstick. That's my joke!" and then he walked away. I still don't know what to think...

Last instance: today Rob was worried about facing the long packet day ahead so he wanted to do something to cheer himself up. So he made an elephant out of towels and put it on the counter by my register. Eventually Jim came over, started at the thing, and said, "WHAT. Is. This." Then he proceeded to unroll the elephant and fold the towels the right way. The whole time I was protesting: "No! Stop! Rob made that! It's an elephant! He will be so sad if you wreck it!" etc.

I love the bookstore, I love Jim, and I love the missionaries.

No comments: