Sunday, April 05, 2009

A misunderstanding


A few years ago, I was at a rehearsal for a show when Abby came up to me and said, "Nat! Grace is going to die in one year!". This was shocking. Grace is my darling little cousin who I just love. She was probably about three at the time. I had no idea she was sick. She had had acid reflux as a baby, but I thought she was pretty healthy. "What?!" I exclaimed. "Grace is dying? Why?" "I don't know" Abby replied. "But Taylor just told Karly and I that Grace has death in one year" (Taylor is Grace's older brother).

Now you can imagine that I was a bit distraught. So I ran over to Karly and this conversation took place.
Me: Karly, Grace is dying? What's going on?
Karly [giving me a funny look]: No, Grace isn't dying. Taylor told us that she's deaf in one ear.
Abby: What? Deaf in one ear? Oh...I thought Taylor said 'death in one year'!

It was a funny misunderstanding. I am happy to report that Grace is alive and well and as cute as ever.

1 comment:

Holly said...

That's adorable! I love kids and all the laughs that come with them.