Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Oh, how the tables have turned.

It used to make me cry. But now, it just makes me laugh. I've found the humor in the situation.

On a separate and completely unrelated note, if anyone happens to find a small, brass key...(okay, sorry, I just couldn't resist the quote from The Office)

This is going to be completely random. But it's just what's on my mind right now. So here you go.

When I was doing bits of competitive clogging back in the day, Freestyle was my favorite category in which to compete, of course (okay, not really). And I have an extremely supportive family, so they would always come to my competitions, cheer me on, and offer me pointers.My dad was especially great. He always watched for my arm movement during Freestyle.

Now, it has always been hard for me to move my arms freely and naturally. Normal freestyle arm position (for me) was a swinging right arm and a stagnant left arm. Somehow, my left arm would end up bent at about a 30 degree angle at the elbow (this is, incidentally, the way I walk at school and when backpacking-my left thumb hooked through the sternum strap of my backpack. I don't know, it's just comfortable to me) . And there it would stay as I danced.

Trying frantically to get me to move my left arm, my dad and family would stand in the audience bending and straightening their elbows over and over again. All I could do was smile-my mind was on the competition, not on my arm.

Okay. Now I am in a clogging class again. My dad and family offer constant reminders of the way I used to dance (it is quite humorous-we have videos). I was determined to change my arm situation. So I concentrated on getting my left arm going.

The other day I sat down to watch my skills test video, and I was looking specifically at the way my arms move when I dance. What did I find?

My left arm was great. My right arm, however, remained virtually motionless. Oh, great. You have got to be kidding me.

No comments: