Saturday, October 29, 2005

Happy Halloween

Why are haunted houses so scary? They're not, really. It's all fake, and we know that...so how come everytime my little sisters and I go past the "spooky house" or go through a real haunted house we get so scared?

For our ward carnival, they did a spook alley. Ok, I'm sixteen, and my little sister is thirteen, but when we walked through that dark maze together, we got scared. But it's not just the creepy masks that are scary, it's the people jumping out at you, taking you by surprise.

When I took my eleven year old sister and all her friends past the spooky house, they wanted to get out of the car. So, I let them get out and walk around looking at the scary ghosts and the other creepy mannequins. When the harmless little scarecrow jumped out and started chasing them and coming after me, he scared more than just crows. But we knew he was fake, so why did we get so scared?

I think the initial surprise really does scare you, and then after that you realize (however subconciously) that being scared is fun. So you continue to let these things scare you, even though they aren't scary when it comes right down to it. They aren't even real. But that's okay. It's fun to be scared.

No comments: