Thursday, November 19, 2009

My Soapbox

So I didn't even know I had a soapbox about this until just barely. My soapbox hit me in the head while I was brushing my hair...so here we go.


A lot of times when I tell people my minor is "Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages", they ask me, "Oh, so do you speak Spanish?" This question doesn't offend me, or make me mad, and it doesn't even really annoy me.

But the answer is no. No, I do not speak Spanish. Why is that even an applicable question? Not all second language learners are Hispanic, even here in Utah. Some English language learners are Arabic. Some are Korean. Some are Russian, some are Chinese, some are Slovakian.

There are so many misconceptions about children learning English as a second language. Even teachers have some crazy ideas and judgments about such students. I guess that is why TESOL is my minor. I will be the advocate.

English language learners, I will stand up for you. I will try to understand you. I will do my best to help you progress cognitively, linguistically, and socially.

I will be the advocate.

*This post is kind of embarrassing because I do not like my TESOL classes and, in fact, I complain about them all the time. Apparently the subject really means a lot to me, though. I am developing a passion.

4 comments:

Chlorine Addict said...

Wow. You are a nerd. I mean that in the kindest possible way, of course.

Natalie said...

I know!! Don't rub it in. You are mean. :(

PS I saw your brother today. And I miss you.

Heather said...

That is so funny that you totally wrote about the worst classes EVER! AND you even used vocab from that class!
You make me smile!

p.s. am I a nerd too if I know exactly what you are talking about?

Natalie said...

The classes are awful, but the one concept we learn...ever...from all six classes...is good. Haha. I knew you would like that post!!

...I think it does make you a nerd.