Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Bradley's Tangent" and then some contention

My biology professor tends to go off on tangents. When I say 'tends to go off' I mean he spends 2/3 of the lecture in a tangent (maybe not quite 2/3, but you get the idea). So today Bradley decided to ask a question for the sole purpose of getting Professor off on a tangent. Because he was sick of taking notes.

All Bradley asked was, "So, I'm wondering, Professor-what is your opinion on globing warming?"

The professor gave his opinion and went off on a mini tangent. "Mission: accomplished" Bradley was thinking. Oh yes, Bradley. Mission accomplished and then some.

Eventually another student raised his hand and asked the professor something to the effect of, "But Professor, how can anyone be sure about what causes global warming? Global warming is non-falsifiable--there's no way anyone can test for all the factors that may contribute."

And our Professor got mad. He didn't yell, but we could just tell he was not happy. They started arguing a bit. The tangent got even longer and intense and I (being the incredibly sensitive person that I am) could not stop laughing. It wasn't funny, but Bradley had inadvertently started a riot. "Great job, Bradley! You made him mad!" I muttered. "Well...it worked. We haven't taken notes in 15 minutes" he whispered.

The fact that our professor got angry bugs me. We are subjected to his own opinion three hours a week. And what is this? We can't have our own opinions?

Also, the very first day of class the professor said, "I don't want you guys to believe anything you hear. You need to question absolutely everything-don't accept anything as fact before you've researched it and reached a personal understanding of what is truth". So it's funny that he seemed so intolerant of another's opinion.

Oh, boy. It was quite the class.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

WOW! What an exciting class! I had a few teachers like that and sometimes it was fun to just hear them rattle on about what they thought.

I love the picture of your dad at the top! So funny!

Love ya! I hope all is well!