Saturday, December 23, 2006

Okay, so I'm lame.

“What was the price Steve quoted you on this?”
“I think it was…uh…37. Yeah--37.”

So the total was 37 dollars and no cents.

He took off his bald-covering beret and pulled out his debit card. After a few tries, he finally swiped it the right way.

Taking the accordion straps and receipt from my hands, he smiled that old smile that made me want to cry and said (with a slight shake of his head), “It’s good to see you. Merry Christmas.”

This is lame, but I was almost too choked up to answer. “Oh, you too, Mr. Hill.” I finally said.

He didn’t realize that merely seeing him again had made my Christmas merry.

2 comments:

soccerball said...

Natalie, I'm getting teary-eyed just reading this! I'm so glad you saw Mr. Hill. I miss him so much! We should write him a letter to thank him for everything.
-Hannah

The Last Popsicle Stand said...

This blog made my Christmas merrier just from reading it.
Aww I miss Mr.Hill too. Hannah's right he aught to be thanked.What an amazing guy.