Friday, May 19, 2006

So long, farewell, au revoir, auf Wiedersehen!

Last night we said goodbye to a legend. Ok, maybe I should stop being so melodramatic. We didn't exactly have to say goodbye...well, what I mean is it's not like Mr. Hill died. He simply retired. Still, we aren't really going to see him anymore. We didn't really see him very often anyway. Only at band concerts. Why is his retirement bothering me so much?

Mr. Hill taught me how to play the clarinet. My first band experiences were with him. I went to my brother's band concerts and watched Mr. Hill, then he was my very own teacher. I really enjoyed band. Once I got into high school, I still loved Mr. Hill but I had moved on. I never thought that his retirement would bug me like this.

I'm pretty sure the reason why I'm so disturbed is because I want my little sisters to have the same experiences with him that I did. He was such a good band director. I will also miss seeing him and seeing his little quirks that always amused us. The way his head shakes, the way he shoots people when they are being disruptive. It's just so hard to let things like this go. I almost don't want to grow up. I want everything to stay the same forever.

Oh well. It's good to move on and experience new things. I'll never forget Mr. Hill or the things he taught me, but as I grow I will be able to create new memories to look back on in a few years.

1 comment:

The Last Popsicle Stand said...

Yeha I'm going to miss Mr. Hill too. He was so amazing. I think band in Utah county will never be the same after he leaves. But oh well I'll try to grow too and just remember him for being amazing.