Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sister Vella

I was going to write a blog about Aspen Grove, but I don't really feel like it anymore. I've been thinking a lot about Sister Vella and I want to talk about her. The problem is that I'm not eloquent-and I think we all know that-so bear with my inadequate scribblings about a wonderful woman.

At first Sister Vella may have been hard to get along with because she has a very brisk, no-nonsense personality. We were talking about it the other day and my dad said, "She acted like she knew everything, but...she really did!" And it's true. Sister Vella knew everything. Speaking of Sister Vella, someone said, "If you didn't love her, then you didn't know her." I don't think there could be a better phrase. If you really knew Sister Vella, you would know how generous, kind, and loving she was.

The more I thought about Sister Vella, the more I realized what she has done for me. I didn't see her a lot-especially after they moved-but she still impacted my life through serving my family and specifically my mom.

  • She would frequently bring over half of whatever food she made for her family. We always had a jar of Sister Vella's soup in the fridge. My dad mentioned it in his talk, but our favorite thing was tomatoes with mozzarella cheese in vinegar. Yum! No one cooked as well as Sister Vella.
  • She made my Irish dance costume-and a matching one for my doll.
  • She made a new underskirt for my prom dress, so it would be long enough.
  • She came with me to Jarom's farewell so I wouldn't have to go alone.
  • She offered help and materials for my projects in school.
Besides all that, she was my mom's best friend.

Sister Vella loved babies, and I just hope she's in Heaven finding my children and helping to teach and prepare them for me.

I'm glad that Sister Vella can be at peace now, and not have to worry about any health problems. But we will miss her! I just hope that I can look to her example as a way to live my life. I want to be as generous and giving a person as Sister Vella was.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

What a nice post about kelly! She was an awesome lady!!! I loved her! And I know it has got to be so hard on your mom and your family! Good thing we have the gospel and the knowledge of eteranl life! Otherwise, death would be so much harder! I love you!!!! Have a good week!

MOM said...

What a sweet tribute! I love you Nat!!

Lori E said...

That was so nice Natalie. I think Sister Vella knew so much because she had to get in as much as she could in her 44 years. She valued life much more than most of us and made the most of every minute because she knew she might not see the next day. I have learned so much from her. She was a very giving person and a great quilter. I'm glad she is at peace and didn't suffer. Thanks for the post!