Saturday, September 17, 2005

Grand Attachments

The Grand Canyon: wonder, magnificence, awe; sweat, blood, tears. My sweat, blood, and tears. So why am I so attached to the Grand Canyon?

Prior to leaving for Arizona, I was not a very happy camper. I fought to stay in Utah for all I was worth. The only thing that even slightly interested me was that my best friend, Amanda, was going. But regardless, I did not feel like spending the first week of my summer hiking around in the bottom of a very hot hole.

The hike was long. My backpack was heavy. The company was good, but it was so hot. I was not used to getting up early in the morning, eating MRE's for breakfast, and hiking miles with a load on my back. I was prone to complain. Luckily, I had Amanda. We composed songs, became junior rangers, and made up stories about John Wesley Powell, the man who discovered the Grand Canyon.

During the week we spent in the Grand Canyon, we learned a lot about nature and more about each other. One of the reasons why I feel such a connection with the canyon is because I was able to spend a lot of time with my dad, my brother, and my best friend. To become Junior Rangers, we had to learn many things about animals and different plants, and we also had to learn more about how we could preserve the Grand Canyon and other national monuments. When you learn more about things, you feel closer to them.

Looking back, the thing I remember most about the Grand Canyon is all the fun I had with my family and friends. I don't vividly remember being very uncomfortable, even though I know I was. Good memories temper the bad ones. I can't recall the Grand Canyon without recalling very fond memories from years past, and when I feel good about things that happened in the Grand Canyon, I feel good about the Grand Canyon.

I left behind my sweat, blood, and tears in the Grand Canyon. I also left a piece of my heart behind, and in it's place brought back a piece of the canyon. The canyon and I became one the day I set foot on the Kaibab trail. Oh yeah. I'm a Grand Canyon Chick.


No comments: